Off Campus Life
The Antigonish Community
Antigonish is an area of nearly 20,000 people who extend a warm welcome to the over 4,000 students who attend StFX every year. It is the home of the annual Antigonish Highland Games, cultural and arts festivals, and more.
Learn more about Antigonish.
Bylaws and Policies
In addition to provincial and federal laws, the Town of Antigonish has several bylaws and policies that may impact students who live in or attend off-campus housing units.
- Town of Antigonish Bylaws
- Live in a home that has more than five bedrooms? See the Lodging Home Registry bylaw.
- Concerned about your living conditions? Check out the By-Law Respecting Minimum Standards for Residential Occupancies.
- Do you have a complaint about a dangerous or unsightly premise? Please use this form .
- Considering having an off campus gathering? Prior to your gathering, ensure you review the Noise Control By-Law.
We want a community that can continue to thrive in the future. At StFX, our community is made up of environmental, economic, social and cultural aspects. We believe in sustaining our community as a healthy, safe and vibrant place to live, learn and work. Everything from student leadership opportunities to the community code to enhancing the experiences and inclusion of all community members work towards a sustainable environment.
Xaverians are committed to stewardship of the environment – on campus, in the Antigonish community, and as global citizens. Our success as a green institution depends on the efforts of students, staff and faculty. By adopting simple energy-smart behaviours, we can help the planet and even save money! Students living off campus can protect the local environment by avoiding littering and following the Town & County’s waste management guidelines.